Monday, February 18, 2013

Week in Review

This last week brought some new firsts for us so it was quite a fun week/weekend!

First, Happy Valentine's Day!  We didn't do much to celebrate except exchange cards and candy (no candy for Drew though).  Drew celebrated V-day at school.  I sent heart-shaped banana cookies to school for their party.  Drew came home with all sorts of goodies: a box full of V-day cards, a heart ornament that Drew painted, a card that Drew made for Momma and Dadda and some heart filled artwork.  Busy day for the little guy!  Brian also made me this flower bouquet.  It was delicious, super cute and creative!


On Friday, we all went to the dentist.  This was Drew's first visit to the dentist.  While I was in the chair, Drew sat on Dadda's lap and watched everything.  He smiled at everyone though and was having fun watching and figuring out what was going on.  After the dentist checked out my mouth, we put Drew on my lap and let the dentist check things out.  Drew did great!  He smiled really big at the dentist, and she was able to check his teeth and gums.  She told us that his molar gum pads are swollen so we should expect to see a new tooth or two in the next few weeks!  The way Drew started drooling this weekend, it might be sooner!

Drew and I managed to make it to the end of Brian's soccer game on Saturday.  After the game, Drew had fun dribbling his dadda's soccer ball around the field!  Drew just saw the ball and started kicking it and running after it!  We were ready to leave so we had to try to get him off the field, but Drew was trying to go to goal!  He even kept dribbling once we got home!  We are super excited about our little soccer star in the making!



Dribbling bare foot, even!
We sign a few words to Drew and have been since he was a tiny guy (I have a hard time remembering that he was a tiny guy just last year!).  He mastered the milk sign fairly quickly.  After that he learned more, or at least a modified more.  The sign for more is putting your hands together at the fingers, and Drew's interrpertation was to do the milk sign but with both hands.  It works though.  Hungry is the other word that we sign most frequently.  The hungry sign is making a jaw shape with your hand (like a rectangle that's missing one side) and pulling down from your chin.  Well last week, I asked Drew if he was hungry (and did the sign).  Drew replied by rubbing his hand on his chest.  I took this to be his way of doing the hungry sign!  (Keep in mind that a lot of signs are difficult for a little guy to master when he's still learning hand coordination).  Then on Sunday, Drew was a little fussy.  I was holding him and asking him what he wanted.  He was pointing, but I wasn't quite sure to what (later I realized he was pointing to the bananas/oranges on the counter).  So I asked him again what it was and he started rubbing his chest!  I was so excited!!  It was snack time!  It really makes a big difference for Drew to be able to communicate with us more and more!

Well this last new things isn't very exciting for Momma and Dadda because it definitely means trouble.  Drew and I were playing Sunday evening, and I realized we had a poop situation (I'm sparing you the details, but we clearly had an issue with containment).  I scrambled, and not wanting to contiminate any more surfaces, I put Drew in his wagon.  I ran around and cleaned up the floor before cleaning up Drew (hindsight tells me this was the wrong order of events, but when there's poop on the floor it's hard to think clearly).  Drew did good sitting in his wagon.  I think he was excited to be in it since we've only used it twice since he's gotten it!  Well, then it was time to clean up Drew.  I got him cleaned up and changed, but left him without his clothes since it was almost bath time.  I put Drew down thinking he would just play in his room while I cleaned up the cleaning table.  But he took off!  Brian showed up around this point and walked into the family room to find Drew climbing in his wagon.  Oops!  We let Drew play in there for awhile and we had to keep telling him that he wasn't allowed to stand on the seat.  Eventually, Brian took him out of the wagon since he wasn't listening and sure enough it took Drew about 4 seconds to climb back in.  Uh oh.  We may have to find another way to block off our fireplace now as I think wagon climbing is a new kind of safety hazard. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment